Open in a new tab The corpus includes all 21 University 2017-2020 SMAs.
If you are looking for a search engine for SMA2, this is it. You can search/filter the SMAs by a key term the boxes in the lower portion of the Documents or Context panel. Searching “International” in the context panel yields some interesting results.
I further broke them down to look at these individual sections:
- Vision, Mission and Mandate
- Student Experience
- Innovation in Teaching and Learning Excellence
- Access and Equity
- Research Excellence
- Impact Innovation, Economic Development and Community Engagement
Initially, I looked at each sections’ length in the number of words used to describe it and its relative size to the whole document.
Reviewing the lengths you can see that some universities wrote much more than others. Most sections are of similar proportions to the whole document, however, there are exceptions:
- OCADu and Ryerson have larger Vission, Mission, Mandate sections
- The Université de Hearst’s Innovation in Teaching and Learning sections
- There is also a lot of variation in the number of sub-sections, but that appears to only indicate a difference in structure, not amount or type of content. The only trend being there are more examples given in sections with more words and more sections.
|University||Number of words WITH boilerplate||Number of words WITHOUT boilerplate|
|University of Windsor||15956||16685|
|University of Ottawa||10686||11416|
|University of Guelph||9869||10590|
|Wilfrid Laurier University||8998||9706|
|University of Waterloo||8966||9696|
|Université de Hearst||7438||8148|
|University of Ontario Institute of Technology||7408||8128|
|University of Toronto||6358||7093|
Read how the themes in the text differentiate, or do not differentiate, each university in the How Universities Describe Themselves in SMA2 post.